Pages

Friday 13 April 2012

The Body Shop Tea Tree range review

If you're anything like me and suffer from oily skin, you know its a battle to be one of the very few oily-faced slickers around town, when almost all the other ladies are strutting that matte finish.
Everyday, I find myself retouching multiple times, as early as morning tea because my T-zone is shiny - just short of seeing your reflection in my forehead (embarrassing!). I have a packet of blotting papers at my desk that is used at least twice a day :(  Its not a nice feeling and I am very conscious of it.
Having moved to Singapore, from Sydney, the humidity is something I am still finding difficult to adjust too. I am originally from New Zealand, where over 20 years of my life was spent in the rain and windy Wellington weather - my skin wasn't dry, but it was clearer there. Sydney changed it slightly, but Singapore has brought of all the oily-ness I can produce. The 5 min walk from home to the station is enough to get my make up running and darken.
About a year ago, I started using the Tea Tree range from The Body Shop having heard good reviews online. I use 3 products religiously:
  • Blackhead exfoliating wash (twice a week)
  • Skin clearing foaming cleanser (every day and night)
  • Skin clearing toner (every day and night)
From left to right: Blackhead exfoliating wash - Clearing foaming wash - Clearing toner

Blackhead exfoliating wash SG$24.90
Packaging - Exfoliator dispersed from tub - product lathered on hand
This is a great scrub for those who prefer a coarse texture, with visible exfoliating (apricot) grains. It comes in a mint green colour with enough exfoliating granules to use on the face. The smell is not pleasent, but you do get use to it over time.
As it is an exfoliating product, it is not recommended for daily use because it can be harsh on the skin and removing too much natural oil is not ideal. I noticed that initially when I was overusing it my skin was left red and puffy and on the edges of my face (near the hair line), the skin was becoming flakey.
Like I said, I use it twice weekly, if not, every sunday during my pampering sessions. I was my face with warm water to help open the pores, and thn lather this on my slightly damp face and scrub away in circular motions using a scrubbing sponge (Paris range from Sasa, SGD$2.90). A tiny amout is enough, the size of a 5cent coin is plenty for the face and neck area. I take my time and then wash off with warm water again. I am not a fan of cold water on the face...
During the week I use my husband's Garnier Pure3-in-1 and this routine helps maintain what my skin is these days.
I find that this helps open my makeup clogged pores, reduce blemishes and the random break outs. The T-zone has reduced its shiney-ness to an acceptable level! I am very happy with it :-)

Skin clearing foaming cleanser SGD$20.90
Packaging - automatically foams when pumped from bottle, no shaking required
I use the cleanser every morning after the Garnier scrub or as my first step to help reduce the oil. (Again, used after washing face with warm water).
It smells similar to the Skin clearing lotion, for those who have tried that. It comes in a bottle that changes the cleanser from lquid to foam when you dispense it. One pump on my palm goes a long way and enough to use all over the face. It does strip away a lot of oil and you are left feeling dry afterwards. I dont have aproblem with this because my day cream helps (L'Oreal Whitening Day Cream from Mustafa centre, SGD$29.95) and because I have an oily problem, to me this isjust what I need.

Personally, I think it would help if the price is lower to around the $12 mark but I got this on a buy 2 get 1 free deal so its gone unnoticed in my wallet :) I would recommend it on all skin types, but make sure to follow with toner and a good moisturiser to avoid dry patches!
I haven't noticed any reaction on my skin or my husbands (when I give him a facial) and the bottle should last about 3 months if used daily.

Skin clearing toner SGD$22.90
Packaging - separation between oils - when shaken - on cotton pad ready to apply on face
The final step in my routine is with this. I pour a little amount on to The Body Shop's Organic Cotton Pads and wipe my face down. This is the final step that helps keep the face matte like and definately helps my blemishes and pores down. I do see a difference when I use this because my makeup isn't as shiny. I don't want a complete matte look, because that dewy finish is gorgeous and natural. It leaves the face refreshed and cool and slightly tight. I believe this completes the cleaning process and any spots are cleared up the next day.

I also use this as a make up remover :P at night and follow it with my L'Oreal Whitening Night cream (SGD$29.95 from Mustafa centre). Be aware that it can sting the skin if you use harsh exfoliating scrubs on a regular basis.

Overall, I would give this range a 4/5 for its effectiveness. Its a great product I would recommend if you have oily skin that is not sensitive. The price could be lower than what it retails at in Singapore and Australia, but considering that Singapore has regular deals, I am not going to complain.
If you are a consistent person who likes to try something out over a period of time - give it a go and let me know what you think!
PS - I do use this on my husband when I give him a facial and see the difference almost immediately. He has facial hair and scars from breakouts. Although he does get the odd one here and there, I think this routine does him wonders (when he gives into my nagging and sits down for a facial on a lazy sunday afternoon - cute, I know!!). In the weekends, when I can, I use a facial mud pack (on the hubby to) after exfoliating and continue the remainder of routine and monday mornings are great becuase you can really see the effect! If only he wasnt so lazy *sighs...

Also today is 13th April - happy birthday to the best Daddy in the world! Without your endless guidence, love and relationship I will not be who I am today. I am truly blessed for your presence in my life, here's to the first man in my life :)
Love you always,
Kaluthey

3 comments:

  1. I love Body Shop's skincare range as they are made naturally and those raw materials are bought from local farmer all over the world.

    online beauty store

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi justsoyouknow, Thanks for stopping by! I dont think that the Body Shop actually uses a lot of natural ingredients in their products (like many other cosmetic companies), from the research I have done :( but the tea tree range works for me and I am happy with it (i dont think it contains any parabens).

      Delete
  2. Hi, Im planning to try the Bodyshop tea tree range, I was browsing to see some reviews and I saw your site. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete